Monday, July 07, 2014

West Canyon


Last week Eric and I participated in the super activity for the Young Men in our ward.  It was my idea to go back to Lake Powell and camp on a beach up lake.  I did also suggest that we have the boys backpack up West Canyon on the south side of the lake overnight to explore this long canyon and perhaps negotiate down through a dark tight slot.  The hike was longer and more difficult that anticipated and our group size too large.  We failed to get into the tight upper slot, but we did enjoy the middle section of the canyon and see the amazing overhangs and water falls.  Upon arriving back to the boats we discovered that one of our boats had mechanical failure and was back on it's trailer at the marina.  This left us with the challenge of shuttling our group back to the marina on the final day.  We did, however, avoid any summer thunderstorms and we survived the hot afternoons.  Once again I hope I gave the young men a good challenge without causing any permanent harm.  Eric, of course, did just fine.  I would need to find something a bit more difficult to challenge him I believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home