Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Monkeys & Towers


This morning I hired a local climbing guide to take me out to a limestone tower just off the coast and near where we are staying to climb it. It is named Ao Nang Tower. The climb consisted of 3 pitches of climbing with each pitch becoming progressively more difficult. The guides name was Tee and we hired a long-tail boat to take us out there and wait below. The weather was great today with no storms. The climb was very enjoyable and I even lead the middle pitch. I would like to think that I was one of his more fun guiding jobs of the season for Tee. Yesterday afternoon Deb and I were walking from the beach over to our resort and we were walking through a jungle section with large trees. There we encountered several monkeys. One large male started climbing down and came directly toward us. Deb quickly realized that the monkey had spotted the banana that she was carrying in her hand. Recognizing the monkey was coming for her she decided to place the banana on top of my climbing pack (without my knowledge I might add). The monkey then came for me and in spite of my gestures and shouts kept coming right at me and was perhaps 7 feet away. I was ready for this thing to pounce on me and I thought I might have to fight it off. The whole time I was puzzled as to why this monkey was after me. Fortunately Deb again realized the seriousness of the situation and grabbed the banana and quickly tossed it into the jungle vegetation. This solved the monkey chase and it darted into the fauna and found the banana and was eating it within seconds as we quickly walked on. She then told me why the darn monkey kept coming after me. Like putting the banana on top of my pack would fool the little rascal!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home