Friday, July 15, 2011

Vedauwoo





I went on a climbing trip to Vedauwoo. It is a climbing area near Cheyenne, Wyoming. Nick has been telling me about it for over a year, so I found the time to drive up there and stay with him. My friend John Tully came with me and we also took our mountain bikes with us. Nick and Emily were great hosts and fed us well while we were there. The Wyoming weather was a bit fickle but in the end we were able to do everything we wanted to do. I will just have to remember to take long sleeve shirts and pants with me any time I go to Wyoming even if it is in the middle of July. The mountain biking at Curt Gowdy State Park was great! I did go down hard once which left me with some bruises. The climbing at Vedauwoo was stout! I had heard about the off-width cracks it is famous for, but experiencing them was another thing. When I go back there again I will take knee pads, thick climbing pants and the biggest cams I can find. By the third day I was beginning to figure out the climbing better, but by then I was bruised sore and quite tired. Tully and I stayed in Midway on the way home and did hit Little Cottonwood Canyon the final day to do a little climbing on a classic Fred Beckey route before driving the rest of the way home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home