Friday, October 28, 2011

Kolob to Mystery



I have been able to complete trips down two canyons in Zion over the past week. First I canyoneered down Kolob Creek with two of my ranger buddies, Andrew and Brandon. The canyon was as challenging as ever with the water flow a little higher than in previous years. This made for some spectacular waterfall rappels. We were a fast party and finished the canyon and the grueling hike out in about 9 hours. The second canyon I descended was Mystery Canyon. This is a Zion classic that ends with the beautiful waterfall rappel into the Narrows. I led a party of 6 including my new partner Dr. Crosby. We had a sunny day, but with temperatures near freezing at the start of the day. Fortunately the time spent in the water was brief. The autumn leaves were at their peak and the water cold and clear. In between the two canyoneering days I managed to travel down to Red Rock Canyon west of Las Vegas and rock climb with Ranger Andrew. We tackled a mega classic route named "Epinephrine". This climb ascends Whiskey Peak on a 2,300 foot wall. The first part of the route involves climbing smooth chimneys. Exciting and strenuous climbing. At the top the climbing eases up but offers delicate moves with lots of exposure to huge drops into the canyon. That climb took us 11 hours and we finished hiking down to the truck in the dark using our headlamps. I think every muscle in my body was sore the following day. A satisfying type of sore.

1 Comments:

At 2:10 AM, Blogger Christian and Angie said...

And somehow you still managed time for work??!! You play ALL the time!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home