Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Englestead Canyon

Yesterday I talked Deb into doing a canyon over in Zion with Marty and I.  We also had our friend John Tully come along.  We chose to try Englestead Canyon.  I have gone through that canyon at least 3 times previously.  It is still early season conditions in most of the canyons in Zion and Englestead was no exception.  We encountered a considerable amount of snow and ice in the dark recesses of the slot.  The initial drop into the canyon is a doozie and requires stopping at a free hanging belay on the way down.  We all got cozy for a few minutes as we made the transition from the first rappel onto the next one.  We brought our wet suits along and we ended up wearing them all of the way out of the Narrows.  I don't think I truly warmed up until I crawled into bed at home that night.  It was a long canyon and more difficult than I had remembered.  Still a lot of "fun" nonetheless.  We stopped in at Oscars of course and Deb and I strolled through the several shops in Springdale while Marty and Tully retrieved my truck up on the East side.  Yet another great day in Zion!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home