Thursday, January 28, 2016

Surfing the Jellies

Today we got up early and after a quick breakfast we ventured out climbing.  The tide was at it's low point therefore we went to some climbs that we could only access when the tide is out.  I was spent after a couple of hours.  Good climbs.  The forecast was for thunderstorms but the morning was sunny and hot.  We spent several hours on the beach and even rented a kayak to paddle around Happy Island.  I grabbed my snorkel and took it with us on the kayak.  Yes there were fish and some coral.  Nothing great, but I did encounter something I have never seen before.  Lots of jelly fish and what I believe were chains of jelly fish eggs.  Mostly crystal clear and if you grabbed hold then it would separate and release each individual cell. As I swam around I was covered in them.  It felt weird on my skin and occasionally I would get a sting from the jelly fish.  It was like swimming through a gauntlet of jellies with stings on my body every few minutes.  Nothing too painful or serious but enough to get my attention, especially on my face.  Deb would have nothing to do with "surfing the jellies"!  Just as I was getting ready for an evening session of climbing a thunderstorm came upon us. I thought we would get a few sprinkles and then it would pass.  Oh no.  Four straights hours of tropical downpours.  Got soaked walking back to our room.  And oh yeah.  Deb is sick and I am starting to feel bad too.  Got some bad water or food.  Probably bad water.  We haven't been very careful.  Hope the medicine I brought will be helpful.  My wound on my finger is healing slow, but at least it isn't infected and I can climb some on it.


2 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you cut your finger! I have to admit I thought you'd be a little more careful with the food and water after your last trip. Hope the medicine works!

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Christian and Angie said...

Yikes!!! Paradise is sounding sketchy....😜

 

Post a Comment

<< Home