Friday, February 04, 2011

Fish Heads & Plankton





This day started out like many of the other days here on our trip. Early breakfast watching the sunrise then off to climb somewhere. Today Deb didn't rope up, instead she just watched me climb with the guys from Southern Utah (Ryan, Skyler, & Jesse). They had me trying some hard routes. Mid afternoon we joined several other backpacker tourists and went on a 7 island snorkeling tour. We went out on a long-tail boat and stopped at several small islands. Some had some good snorkeling others were just OK. I did get stung by jelly fish a couple of times. We then stopped on a small beach on Chicken Island and had dinner. The tour guy just served us Rice Wine (no thanks) and rice with fish curry. The seafood was a jumble of things one of which was a whole fish head with its eye looking at me. We watched the sun set in the west and then we all waded out into the surf and crawled into the overloaded boat and went to Pineapple Island where we snorkeled one more time. At first I was confused because they didn't give us any underwater flashlights but after dropping into the water and swimming around with my mask on did I understand what we were there to see. Bio fluorescent plankton! It was so cool! Every time you would move your hands or feet through the water the plankton would fluoresce and it was like hundreds of stars or fire flies swarming around you. Way cool! In the morning we have to start getting ready to travel home as this is our last night here. It went by way too fast!

2 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

Once again, I'm totally jealous. We can't wait to see you here again though!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Hailey said...

I would've been throwin those fish heads over my shoulder too!! :) ah looks so fun! Glad you guys are back though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home